Feb 27, 2015

Our Perspective

Image result for nature photos
"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth." Muhammad Ali

A clever way to say what life is all about.  In order to pay for our room and board here, we are called to be of service to others.  Caregiving is certainly service to others -- if we choose to look upon it as that.  It is not just service to our loved one, but we are also called to provide service to others -- if only through the modeling of our behavior.  How I treat my loved one is noticed by everyone on staff, and many of them tend to treat him more like I do when they see me being loving, patient and kind.  When we advocate for respectful care for our loved one, we are providing service to those others who have no one to voice for them respectful care.  I know when I call upon the care facility to be more compassionate, that benefits more than my loved one.  As in the photo above, we can see life as bleak without meaning.  Or we can see life as rich, full, vibrant.  Part of that perspective is seeing our caregiving as purposeful, as worthwhile.  Because it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment