Feb 5, 2015

Stress of Caregiving

"When we're under stress, the brain secretes hormones like cortisol and adrenaline that in the best scenario mobilize us to handle a short-term emergency, but in the worst scenario create an ongoing hazard for performance."  Daniel Goleman

Caregiving is stressful.  Period.  I don't think there is anyone who is honest who does not admit this.  We can also look around at other caregivers and see the ravages of the stress on their bodies and countenances. Being responsible for someone else's life, in addition to our own, is a tremendous responsibility and can be very stressful.  I know when I am feeling overwhelmed by the responsibilities that I tend to misplace things, miss something on my schedule, have difficulty sleeping.  The best remedy for me is to clear my schedule so that I can take some very deep breaths and find my grounding again.  It is damaging for our bodies to be constantly under stress, and it is imperative that we, as caregivers, find a way to decrease stress in our lives.  Healthy eating and sleep habits, exercise and practicing positive thoughts are ways to handle stress.  So, too, is taking a break from the many commitments we caregivers tend to have.   How do you arrange respite breaks for yourself?


No comments:

Post a Comment