Sep 26, 2009

Anxiety

My daughter has reflected to me that she thinks I am more anxious about Dwane and safety, etc. than I know. I think she is right. Last night Dwane and I were at a fundraising social event. Another woman I know whose spouse also has dementia stopped to say hello. As she was speaking to me, she was also scanning the room. She said, "Oh, he's found the food line. I don't need to worry." This exchange was like a mirror for me. I am always scanning the room, or the yard. I am always hyperalert to where he is and if he might be in danger. When I am away from home (and I am so glad I can still be gone and he can remain home safely), there is always a layer of anxiety for me wondering if he is okay, if he could handle a problem should one occur, if I need to head home. There is more than worry about his safety. This past week we were out together for lunch and to see the fall colors, and Dwane reached for his wallet to pay. His wallet was not in his pocket. So, anxiety again. Did he leave it at home or leave/lose it somewhere?!?!? Recently, he put his wallet through the washing machine. He still has 2 credit cards with large credit amounts on them. I believe it is time to get him a different credit card with a small balance. I am pretty sure he would not spend money foolishly at this point, but he does lose things. I need to do whatever I can to reduce my own anxiety, because it causes me a lot of weariness -- and anxiety, like any form of stress, is bad for my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment