Sep 25, 2009

Assisted Living

There are people in my life who are pressuring me to put Dwane into assisted living. Besides the obvious ethical issue: which is that I live my life by determing what is true for me, and putting Dwane into assisted living for my own convenience is not congruent with my life purpose, since I do not see him at that point of need yet. I also need to consider the financial aspect. I met with our long term care insurance people yesterday. I am so grateful that I was inspired to get long term care insurance, but it will only cover slightly over half of a month's expenses in an assisted living center. The cost of an assisted living center is about $6000 per month. Our long term insurance would pay about $3500 a month for a maximum of 5 years. Of course there is an inflation index that would figure in, but by the same token, the cost of an assisted living facility would also go up. So, I will continue to make the wisest choices I can on behalf of Dwane and myself. Long term care insurance is a good thing to have, but it is not a panacea.

No comments:

Post a Comment