Sep 21, 2009

The ups and the downs

This is such an unpredictable disease. We had a very bad night the night before I left for the marathon. I got my first glimpse of the real possibility of violence. So angry. Even posturing and threatening to hit me. My usual strategies of reasoning and explaining were to no avail. Very upsetting for both of us. I was tired and feeling anxious because of his upset just before we left. It started with my saying I did not want him driving on the interstate while I was gone, and his announcing that he had planned to drive to a city several hours away -- a city he has not driven to for over a year. I was horrified that he was thinking of doing this while I was gone, and he thought I was being too rigid in not wanting him to.

The good news is he seems to have done just fine while I was gone, with the help of our son-in-law who came to stay one night (something else that made Dwane mad the night I was leaving). And the other good news is that we talked when I got home and he has made the commitment to be in control of his tendency to get mad. I'm not sure with this disease that he can do that. But I will try communicating more and earlier, and I am meeting with longterm care insurance people this week and having some strategies in place should this occur again.

I am delighted that he could be home alone overnight, and I came in 2nd in my age category in the 10K at the marathon. About 10,000 participants overall. Very organized and quite an experience! It was easier than I thought it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment