Sep 23, 2009

"Dressing" the part

Schools have long known that if they have dress codes or require wearing of uniforms, behavior is different. Children know that it is easier to pretend you are queen or king, if you are playing "dress up" and dressed like one. I realize that is what I am doing with this blog. I am "dressing the part" I want to play with this disease, and it wouldn't matter if I were witnessing dementia, cancer, or any other terminal and progressive illness. I am different; I show up different in my interactions with Dwane if I help myself "dress" the part by focusing on the quality of our lives and how I want to interact with him through this blog. It helps me "play the part" and show up the way I want to. Of course we have our ups and downs, which I try to candidly share in this blog without wallowing in the negative; but this blog helps me. With it I have consciously chosen how I want to "dress" for this role in what life has served up for me. I think choosing consciously and then practicing in some format is the secret to showing up the way we want to in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment