Sep 27, 2009

Illusions

One of my readings today was about the importance of being willing to let go of past opinions. This has been a life practice for me, as my family of origin clung to their opinions like breastplates. Stating an opinion with great authority, as if it were true. Trying to force one's opinion on someone else, and judging those whose opinions differed. Because this was such a big part of my formative years, I have been given the opportunity in life for lots of practice in releasing opinions and living gently. I think this applies to living with dementia or any other debilitating illness. People assume Dwane cannot do things because that is what is generally thought of with Alzheimer's, like being able to adjust to a new home when we house sit or being able to remember who people are. Those type of memory problems are not a part of Dwane's experience. I also want to be aware of not having opinions of what Dwane can and cannot do. For one thing it varies so significantly from day to day, moment to moment. I am grateful for the period we are going through right now, which is one of more lucidity.

It is such a good period that yesterday I went to see the play, Mama Mia, and out to dinner with 3 women friends to an especially good restaurant. I got to meet two new women, and I really resonated with one. A kind woman with a lovely spirit. I hope to develop a friendship with her.

Life is good, and I want to remember that. Even this progressive, incurable process Dwane has been diagnosed with. Since death is a part of life, what an opportunity to face it openly, with dignity. We have been given the choice of how we want to approach his death. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment