Sep 30, 2009

Fall colors

Today on this last day of September I am struck by the beauty of the fall. Brilliant colors sprinkle among the evergreen trees. Last night a neighbor called to alert us to the hauntingly beautiful song of an owl echoing down our valley. Such splendor and abundance. Today I hope for a bike ride, because they are forecasting inclement weather tomorrow.

In one of my readings this morning, a favorite psychiatrist of mine, Carl Jung, is quoted: "If you are now in the dumps and up to your ears in mire, you must tell yourself that you were flying too high and that a dose of undiluted hellish blackness was indicated. The pickle you are in is certainly something you couldn't have brought on yourself. This shows that someone 'out there' is surrounding you with provident thoughts and doing you the necessary wrong." Joan Borysenko goes on to say, "I enter this season with gratitude for the things I will learn from the cosmic agents of awareness, those 'someones out there' who sweep the unconscious and create the dramas that bring me to wholeness."

People do not understand that this is my position with Dwane's dementia. I cannot know how this diagnosis of dementia serves Dwane, but I do know that how I respond to his diagnosis of dementia is critical for my own spiritual development.

No comments:

Post a Comment