Sep 6, 2009

Focus on the positive

In one of my readings this morning, the wonderful, early positive-thinking teacher, Catherine Ponder, says, "When you bless a problem, injury, lack, or an enemy, you are calling forth the good within them, and you will be pleasantly surprised at the good that comes through them." Without getting too much into the mysterious, I do think there is great value at having the intention of noticing the things in life about which to be grateful. With a life-crisis like dementia, I find it is easy to fall into just noticing the things going wrong, worrying about what the future holds (like, can I safely leave him and go participate in the marathon with my grandson), noticing the things that are no longer there. It is just as easy, and it is very good practice for my mental health, to notice all the goodness still in our lives. The beauty of the fall colors which are beginning to change in the high country in which we live. The fact that I get to ride my bike on my favorite mountain trail this morning. The fact that I washed all my windows yesterday, and I love being able to see clearly the outside and the light that comes in through the clean panes. The fact that Dwane and I can still laugh together, enjoy a great meal, be active. Today, I intend to see only the good, only the things for which I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment