Oct 28, 2011

Caregiver's Bill of Rights

"I have the right:  To take care of myself.  This is not an act of selfishness.  It will enable me to take better care of my loved one."

A friend sent me the Caregiver's Bill of Rights, taken from Caregiving:  Helping an Aging Loved One, by Jo Horne.  I have not read the book, but I love the Bill of Rights.  My friend recommended I post them and review them daily, and I think I will.  I have found in recent weeks some indications that the stress of this caregiving is affecting my own health, and I cannot allow that.  So, I will put a high priority on taking care of myself.  This friend uses the analogy of putting the oxygen mask first on oneself -- like told to do in an airplane.  So, I put my own oxygen mask on (take care of myself foremost), and then I meet the needs of the person for whom I provide care.

I will cover the other "Rights" in subsequent blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment