Oct 22, 2011

Miss Representation

"When the documentary Miss Representation premiered at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival, audiences were riveted and OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network acquired its broadcast rights.The film explores how the media’s misrepresentation of women has led to the underrepresentation of women in positions of power and influence." Miss Representation website http://missrepresentation.org

Last night we watched the above noted film.  Riveting.  I am of the era of the ERA and Women's Right Movement.  I had as a priority raising my children (a boy and a girl) with the attitude of human dignity for all.  Marlo Thomas's Free to Be You and Me was a favorite in our home.  It was so important to me that my children grew up respecting themselves and others and to develop to their own potential.  This blog is not about touting women's rights (which are really everyone's rights), but it does seem to me that we who are caregivers for dementia might dedicate some of our energies to the respectful treatment of all.  Don't we do that everyday in the way we treat and model how others are to treat the person with dementia?  Let us not forget about ourselves and the treatment we deserve.  Let us be sure to treat ourselves with the utmost respect and to tolerate only that from others.  If interested, you can lend your voice to offset the dehumanizing and violent images to which our youth are currently exposed.  I was motivated to contact my state congressional people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment