Oct 16, 2011

Patience

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ahhh, Patience.  Something we need in the role of dementia caregivers, and something which is not always at ready supply.  I have read Dr. Joan Borysenko's comments on patience and her observation that what most of us call patience is impatience stretched to its maximum limits.  And, on a tape of Eckart Tolle, he once commented that if one has to wait in line to just be enjoying oneself, rather than be impatient at the waiting.  Tall order!  I have noticed that I am more patient when I am feeling content myself; that means, not stressed, not overloaded, not overly tired or hungry.  So, we are back to taking care of ourselves as a top priority.  If patience is a needed quality for a caregiver, then let us start with being patient with ourselves!  Then, let us make sure we are taking good care of ourselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment