Oct 29, 2011

Seek help from others

"I have the right:  To seek help from others even though my loved one may object.  I recognize the limits of my own endurance and strength."  Jo Horne's Caregiver's Bill of Rights.

This is probably the area of greatest stress for me in caregiving:  Dwane's resistance to having someone else come in so that I can have a break.  In some ways I can understand it from his perspective, and yet, it seems so selfish of him to expect that I will be here.  It puzzles me that he does not seem to acknowledge that I am not the one with dementia; that I have a right to a life of my own.  Certainly, if our situations were reversed, I am fairly confident that he would not devote himself to my care. 

So, I vow that I will have the breaks I need, while also providing for him the safety he needs.  At least once a month I will have an overnight or two or three -- to get a break from this 24/7 stressful role of caregiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment