Oct 5, 2011

Fall colors

promoslogos.com

"In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

I downloaded this photo (or uploaded it?) from internet because it reminds me of the trail I run or bike every day, and I wanted to share that with you readers.  Fall is such a wonderful season here, exquisite colors and temperatures and luscious produce.  My favorite season here. 

We had a close to serious mishap yesterday.  Even with a home health aide and myself here, Dwane got the snowplow keys and was driving it, careening around other vehicles.  I managed to stop him before he crashed into the health aide's vehicle, but it was an unpleasant scene.  I now know what a friend of mine would complain to me about with her husband's dementia; she would talk of how good her husband would be when with others -- so that they would think he was normally functioning.  But, then she would get the backlash.  It seems that is true with some types of dementia; the person is able to "rise to the occasion" of functioning well briefly when stimulated by others' presence, but then falls back to status quo - or even below that.  We are seeing that even as Dwane was more his old self after our serious conversation, and the last two days have been frightful.  Belligerent, argumentative, extremely poor judgment, lots of mishaps.  It is an interesting process, isn't it?  If we can remain objective enough to observe. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure if you have thought about this but whenever I hear of sudden behavior issues my mind immediately goes to illness, more along the thinking of Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) Much of the time even a slight one or fever (my biggest fear) can trigger sudden declines. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete