Oct 30, 2011

Maintain my own life

"I have the right:  To maintain facets of my own life that do not include the person I care for, just as I would if he or she were healthy."  Jo Horne's Caregiver's Bill of Rights

This is a good one for me to remember.  Before the dementia, Dwane and I led very different professional lives.  I put aside my psychological practice, to a large degree, to provide care for him.  Before the dementia, I went to workshops, conferences, and to see my own children - on my own.  I must not let him make me feel guilty (number 5 of the Bill of Rights) for doing so now.  I have a right to my own life.  My only real responsibility to Dwane is to see that he is safe and has the best quality of life possible under the circumstances. 

Today I fully reclaim my right to my own life -- separate from being a caregiver. 

No comments:

Post a Comment