Feb 23, 2013

How We Spend Our Time

"Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone." Lin Yutang

As someone overly oriented to achievement, the idea expressed in the above quote has always puzzled me.  Just as the story in the New Testament of Mary and Martha, where Martha is doing tasks of hospitality and Mary is sitting at the feet of Jesus, puzzles me.  Why did Jesus admonish Martha and praise Mary?  In life I am more likely to be Martha, busy with tasks.  There must be some safety for me in taking on tasks.  At least in the performing of tasks I can see progress occurring.  That is not to say that I cannot be idle, especially when immersed in meaningful conversation or in prayer or meditation.  Perhaps the answer is to not allow tasks to take over our lives, but to leave room for spaciousness.  Because it is in that spaciousness that we can hear the voice of God.  If focused too much on tasks, there remains no room for inspiration.  I have read that Einstein took very brief cat naps thoughout the day, and that it is from his dreams that he gleaned much of his ideas and inventions. 

In our daily lives, let us keep an eye on our ability to retain balance in this dance of doing and not doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment