Feb 4, 2013

Let's Keep Moving

"Those people who stay seated for most of the day are 54% more likely to die of heart attacks, even if they met standard benchmarks for moderate to vigorous exercise.  The recommendation is for standing and stretching at least every 15 minutes  Formal exercise is great for the heart, but sitting should be viewed as an independent risk factor." Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge. 

As I get older, I realize I am sitting more.  One of the things I miss the most about my younger ages was abundant energy.  I exercise every day, but I find I sit most of the evening and read.  Fortunately, I cannot sit long without getting up to do something; and from reading this study, it is good that my body calls me to move.  So, it is not enough to exercise every day; now we have to keep moving at other times of the day too.  If I am watching television, which I seldom do, I use commercials to get up, walk around, get a glass of water.  If I am reading, which is more often the case, I get up often to walk around and perform some household task. 

Over the weekend I was sitting at my computer when I heard big booms.  I remembered the fireworks display in a nearby town to celebrate a winter festival.  I walked out onto my deck to enjoy the fireworks, and I was treated to the most exquisite sky.  Clear, bright -- a black dome filled with stars.  Just lovely.  In this way I was able to get movement and enjoyment.  Who knows what we might be missing by sitting?!

No comments:

Post a Comment