Jul 25, 2015

Asking How You Are

Image result for flower photos
"When people are going through a life challenge, acknowledge that to them." Listening tips

Do you have people in your life who ask how your loved one is?  I have very few.  Even fewer ask how I am.  I have wondered why that is, because these are caring individuals who know about my loved one's dementia.  Why do people avoid the subject?  I think it is because of their own discomfort, so here are some tips.  Ask the person how they are doing.  You might also ask if she/he would like to talk about their situation, and, if so, listen.  Listen without adding some of your own story or any advice.  Just listen.  Caregiving is a lonely, solitary task.  Sometimes I just want to know someone else cares.  

No comments:

Post a Comment