Jul 15, 2015

Loving What Is

Image result for flower photos
"Every library is an act of hope." Fr. Lucien Deiss

So, too, is the planting of any tree.  I was with a college friend recently, and she has planted many trees on her property.  Trees which she is likely to never see grow to maturity. She is planting them for future generations.  Libraries are a source of hope too, in that there hope when we preserve thoughts and words for other generations to enjoy.  I am sickened by the reported destruction of ancient artifacts in the near east, because that means future generations will not be able to see these important artifacts.  

How do you have hope as a caregiver?  I sat with my loved one and read him some tidbits from a book that his sister sent him on Theodore Roosevelt.  When he is lucid, I am still astonished at the depth of his knowledge.  I am grateful to her for sending the book, as it gave us something to focus on while I was there.  He is having difficulty swallowing now, and is in bed most of the time.  My hope is that he have a peaceful exit from this world.  That may sound macabre, but it is important to remember that we are dealing with a progressive and terminal disease.  I hope for him a peaceful death in the right time for him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment