Jul 10, 2015

Letting Truth In

Image result for flower photos
"The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple." Oscar Wilde

What is the truth?  What is your truth?  Recently I was in a gathering where a person ranted that immunizations put toxins into a person's body -- she had worked at a hospital and was outraged that the hospital mandated employees get immunizations.  I was so stunned by her strident and rigid statements that I was silenced, but her remarks continue to bother me.  Do we get immunizations just for ourselves?  I get the flu shot every year (the one she was ranting about) to protect my loved one whose immune system is now compromised and to protect my granddaughter.  Not only do I think the person's statement was unfounded scientifically, I think her view requires that we forget we have a responsibility to others.  More than "Do no harm.", I want in my life to "Do good unto others."  That requires things of me that I might not do if it were all about just me.  When my granddaughter was born, I arranged to get the whooping cough immunization -- specifically to protect her.  Isn't that what we do as caregivers?  Consider the needs of others, as well as ourselves, and act accordingly.   Isn't the world a better place if we look out for one another?  

No comments:

Post a Comment