Jun 8, 2015

Importance of Intention

Image result for photos flowers
"Setting an intention for your life will be like having a heart compass." Buddhist saying

I think this is so true.  So many people go through life with no apparent sense of direction, but if we decide what our intention for our life is -- what is the long term goal -- then our life will have direction.  I set the intention of living graciously with dementia when my spouse was diagnosed with Lewy Bodies Dementia.  Have I done perfectly?  Of course not, because I am human; but having the intention of being gracious has been my guiding force when dealing with staff, with insurance personnel, with my loved one.  Recently, I discovered the care facility was putting thickener into my loved one's drinks.  That did not seem to matter, except in his diet Coke which he enjoys.  I talked with the speech therapist, and - although I understand the reason for the thickener - I discussed with her the thickener versus his enjoyment of a drink.  She withdrew the order for thickener for his carbonated beverage, as long as he has a straw.  Seems like a good compromise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment