Jun 11, 2015

Irrelevancy

Image result for flower photos
As Lewy Bodies Dementia progresses, it seems to become less relevant to my loved one if I visit or not.  I have heard from other family members of persons with Lewy Bodies Dementia that this has been true for them too.  While on one hand it is somewhat of a relief, because the pressure I put on myself to go so that he would not be lonely is now gone, it is replaced by sadness at becoming irrelevant to him.  I still go and I trim his nails and read him his letters, but only his physical concerns seem important to him now.  The nap, the fingernails that are too long; but it no longer seems important to him that a loved one be doing these tasks for him.  I think, as caregivers, we need to prepare ourselves for this transition:  when we no longer are of much relevance to our loved one.  Another loss among so many.

No comments:

Post a Comment