Jun 22, 2015

Uncertainty

Image result for flower photos
"Uncertainty makes us feel vulnerable." Brene Brown

There are times when we will feel uncertain.  That is why I keep learning.  I went this past week to a workshop on the Ethics of Dying.  It was very good.  The speaker talked about our obligation to be there for one another, about the rights of the person who is dying, about the ethical concerns of the dying process.  It gave me good ideas.  For one thing, I am going to ask the care facility if they have an ethics committee which oversees decisions around dying.  I am sure they do not have one, so my intention will be to raise the awareness of having one.  As caregivers we have the ultimate responsibility of making decisions about life and death for another person.  Let us make sure we are on solid ground in making those decisions.  The decisions, to be ethical, MUST be from the position of what the care receiver would want.  Not what we might want, or what another family member might want.  Decisions must be made from the position of what the person with the terminal illness would want.  

No comments:

Post a Comment