Aug 13, 2011

Creative respite care

"Thank you, God, for this good life and forgive us if we do not love it enough." Garrison Keillor

It is hard to love one's life if one is inundated with difficulties, does not have time for self care and recreation, and is dealing with a difficult personality in the care receiver; but it is important that we do find a way to love our life.  One thing I am trying is very creative respite care.  I have an agreement with an older widowed neighbor who will come to be a companion so I can get a break.  A friend gave me a brilliant idea of a handyman who will do repairs and also look after the safety of Dwane.  He came for the first time yesterday, and it did not prove to be a respite for me as he had too many questions and too many errands for me to run for parts, but I am going to have him come once a week and he is getting an amazing amount of things fixed around here.  He discovered our dryer vent was nearly plugged, so he may have saved us from a bad house fire.  Then, one day a week I am having an agency come, and I am going to have them do light housekeeping - in addition to companion to Dwane.  It has been stressful getting all these things in place, but I am sure as the schedules smooth out and Dwane grows accustomed to their being here, we will both benefit.

And, now let's talk about money.  We live in a rural area, so this might not apply in other areas.  I am paying the people who provide companionship $12 an hour, and the handyman $25 an hour.  Yes, I will have to keep an eye on our budget.  But, is money more important than my health and my life?!  It is worth it to me, and I now have 3 half days scheduled where I get respite (hopefully!!) and some services provided as well!   I am pretty delighted with the possibilities this provides!

No comments:

Post a Comment