Aug 20, 2011

Self care first

"In case the oxygen mask falls from the compartment above your head, put your own oxygen mask on first and then help others around you," Airline Safety Guidelines.

Something very important for us caregivers to remember.  Take care of our own needs first, or we will not be around to take care of any other needs.  Some of the support I have put in place has been disappointing.  The handyman seems to need too much input from me; is unwilling to be self reliant.  The home health care person seems reticent to draw Dwane out.  The relative who came to town to be of support to me is so busy having fun that she has forgotten her offer.  The neighbor who was delighted to be paid to be a companion for Dwane now thinks he resents her being here.  (Of course, he resents having anyone but me here!).  So, back to the drawing board.  Back to setting up support that can give me respite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment