Mar 7, 2012

Day to day grind

"The big moments of life tend not to be the ones that wear us down. Even great tragedies sometimes bring about the best in us. What wears us down is the day to day and the hour to hour." Fr. Richard Veras

The above quote seems true to me.  Some years ago I completed a national trauma responder training.  The trainers said that one can never know for certain how he/she will respond in a crisis, but historically I become very calm in a crisis.  It is the little things in the daily routine that can wear me down.  This is not to diminish the trauma of big events; that trauma is real, but the seemingly endless day to day frustrations can really take a toll.  Even the tiny things, like lights left on /doors left unlocked (or locked).  In those times it helps me to remember to not sweat the small stuff.  I saw the title of a book recently which was, "You Can't Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought."  I have not read the book, but the title resonates with me.  Negative thoughts impact my mood, my body, and my soul in a negative way.  It is important to be disciplined about not entertaining them.

No comments:

Post a Comment