Mar 16, 2012

Pets for calming

" . . .studies have revealed that Alzheimer's patients have fewer anxious outbursts if an animal is present, and research shows that caregivers can feel less burdened as well, especially if the animal is a cat."  Dr. Oz

While Dr. Oz is a great resource for health information, I do not agree with him on this.  I acknowledge that we are not dealing with Alzheimer's, but with Lewy Bodies Dementia; still this has not been our experience.  We have done two house sitting positions this winter:  the first with cats and the second with a dog.  Both were a lot of extra work for me, and Dwane seemed oblivious to the animals as a source of pleasure.  I thought he might enjoy them and interact, but that has definitely not been the case.  Dr. Oz also suggests an aquarium, but that, too, would be more work for me.  I can see that perhaps in assisted living facilities some form of animal life could be a good addition, but in our experience the animals have not added to the quality of Dwane's life.  And, I certainly have not felt 'less burdened'.

1 comment:

  1. I tend to agree with you.
    We live with Lewy Body also and I allowed our dog to come in the house to keep Hubby company but he really didn't have much if any interaction with her.
    I finally wound up putting her back outside when she became an extra duty for me.
    I tried a cat but she was too feisty, so out she went!

    I have been eyeing a stuffed animal to place on Hubby's bed. It's battery operated and makes "breathing" sounds. I can't make up my mind though :/

    ReplyDelete