Mar 25, 2012

Paths to gratitude

"I try to open the hours with softness and silence -- the two threads that unravel into gratitude --." Mark Nepo

Softness and silence.  I love both of those.  People thought we were crazy when years ago we downsized and moved into the high elevation in a rather isolated location.  But; the silence and the softness of the beauty around me was very supportive of my soul.  I know people who have a tv or radio on all the time.  I have never been like that.  Neither way is a bad way to live; it is just important that we know what supports us and to honor that.  I begin every day with a half hour of prayer.  When that is interrupted or made impossible, I see that the softness and silence of that practice serves me well (and conversely, I am not served when this time is displaced).  Usually I very naturally arise earlier than Dwane.  That is my time for softness and silence.  I am better in my life and provide caregiving with more love when I have my time for softness and silence first thing in the morning.  That is what serves me and frames my day for gratitude.  What serves you?

No comments:

Post a Comment