Mar 21, 2012

Noncompetition

"I believe that everyone must win or eventually everyone will lose. To take what is another's is to upset the harmony of infinite action." Margaret Stortz

Having my sister here enables me memory trips back to my childhood.  We have shared and sparked memories of our joint childhoods.  In every family there are aspects of competition and aspects of collaboration fostered.  In my family, my sister and I recognize that there was competition in being 'right'.  We both have largely left that practice behind.  To what extent was competition fostered in your childhood?  Most certainly schools have tended to promote competition, and sometimes, I think, that can help bring out the best in oneself.  But, competition can also be negative, as Dr. Stortz says above.  As adults do we really want to compete?  Isn't that saying there is a limit to what is available?  Is there ever a time that competition is good?  I certainly enjoy the Olympics, and it is not so much to root for my country as it is to see an athlete excel.  Perhaps it is important to remember in that case, that the athlete has a team of people who have gathered for the purpose of promoting the one.  Perhaps we are unlikely to achieve our best without the support of one another.  Who supports you?  And whom do you support?

No comments:

Post a Comment