Mar 28, 2012

Feel your feelings

"Though we fear it, feeling our feelings is the only clear and direct way to free our hearts of pain." Mark Nepo

We've heard it many times:  feel our feelings, and sometimes we do.  But, I think many times we divert ourselves by involvement in what surrounds our pain.  I think I do that with caregiving.  There are so many tasks and responsibilities; it seems sometimes that is all I have the energy for.  Recently, I was near tears when talking with a dear friend -- too bad I managed to prevent the tears from flowing.  We who are caregivers are going to have many feelings.  Feelings of frustration, compassion, irritation, and loss.  Loss is the one I have recently been visiting.  The loss of dreams Dwane and I had; the reality that now a new phase of life is upon us.  Some situations I have had in place no longer serve us.  It is time to let those dreams go, and to grieve the loss of them.  The loss of dreams and hopes can be as hard, or harder, than the loss of a physical, tangible thing.  Is there the loss of a dream among the many feelings you have as a caregiver?

No comments:

Post a Comment