Mar 24, 2012

Finding rest

"I am not a hero if I deny rest; I am only tired." Susan McHenry

How do you find rest within the task of caregiving?  I know a woman whose husband with Lewy Bodies Dementia wakes her up multiple times at night to help him get out of bed.  Fortunately, I do not have those sleep interruptions usually, but just the many, many tasks of caregiving are exhausting.  Even naps are impossible because of needing to be "on duty".   In what ways can you find rest?  I am struggling with that just now.  I have discovered that for me having people come in to the home often is not respite for me.  Too often they come with their dramas, their cancellations, or their extra work for me.  That does not help me.  I have recently found a cleaning service which works well and takes some of the load off for me.  She comes in, cleans and leaves -- very businesslike. 

My home has always been a sanctuary and a place of peace and renewal for me.  It is challenging to find people to come in who do not disrupt this peace; and sometimes it is not worth the upheaval it causes my equanimity.  What have you found that truly supports you?

No comments:

Post a Comment