Mar 30, 2012

Our Physical Health

"Consider the care of your body. How have you attended to your health and to the divine gift of dynamic energy that comes from emotional, physical, mental, and spiritual wholeness?" excerpt from a devotional sent to me by a dear friend

It has come to my awareness in recent weeks that the stress of caregiving is affecting my health.  It is important that we as caregivers monitor our own physical health.  According to research from the Roslyn Carter Institute, 1/3 of caregivers will die from the stress of caregiving.  It is imperative that we do not let this insidious disease take both the person with dementia and us.  I am currently reflecting on the support I have in my life and what I can change.  I will be implementing some changes that better support my own health.  So much emphasis is placed on the safety and well being of the care receiver, but we must be our own advocates for our own safety and well being.  What works for someone else may not work for me or for you.  Each of us needs to determine what best meets our own health needs and protects "the divine gift of dynamic energy".  What protects you?  Do you need to change some of the support you currently have in place?

No comments:

Post a Comment