Apr 29, 2015

When To Intervene In Hallucinations

Image result for nature photos
"Visual hallucinations are a symptom of Lewy Bodies Dementia." Mayo Clinic

I try never to intervene with my loved one's hallucinations; however, sometimes it is best to do so.  Yesterday he was very agitated and told me his mother had called on the phone, told him to go immediately to the State Theater in North Dakota, to not question it and to go right now.  He was obviously very agitated, said he was confused and wondered if he should go.  I gently reminded him his mother was dead and that he sometimes experienced things that were not real.  We talked about going to his mother's funeral, which he remembered.  He was significantly less agitated after this discussion, and I told him he could always bring up to me anything that was confusing to him.  I think it is good for us to remember that the visual hallucinations are as real to our loved one as we sitting there is real.  The hallucinations are so real that they circumvent what he knows to be true -- that his mother is dead.  Sometimes it is better to bring our loved one back to reality as we know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment